Itâs my favorite time of year: List time.
Best of, worst of, top-selling, funniest, weirdest, most viral â I love those compact, summarizing, quick-hit catalogues of cool.
When I was little, I read The Guinness Book of World Records cover to cover. It was my favorite Christmas gift. As an adult, Iâm a grocery store, housework honey-do, holiday shopping, bucket list kind of person, so when you put anything on a list, I will probably read it. I especially can’t wait forÂ those annual who-said-what, who-watched-who and what-sucked-most list posts because they’reÂ a mind-blowing reminder of how fast 365 days actually pass by (the OlympicsÂ were a few months ago? Really?).
List Posts =Â Efficiency
On social media and blogs, list posts are the most read social posts. There is so much content out there that searching for quick answers toÂ your questions can beÂ overwhelming. Because of this, simple,Â digestible bullet points are rewarded. When siftingÂ through millions of Google results or clicking through to find outÂ the 4 Steps to Creating a Marketing Strategy,Â people are more likely to take a look at this concise dose of facts than a vague title thatâŚwellâŚsounds loooong. Sad, but true. And when it comes to list posts, laziness is good. It is a promise of efficiency.
So, my lazy and nostalgic friends, I give you my 5Â FavoriteÂ “Best of 2014 Lists”Â ListÂ (listception!).
- The most popular âwordâ in 2014Â was not a word at all; it was anÂ emoji. A heart-shaped one, to be exact.Â This “word” barely edged out Ebola, whichÂ makes it a little less upsettingÂ that our most popular word wasn’t even a word.
- The best advertisements of the yearÂ featured people acting âlike a girl,â Bill Gates dumping ice water on his head, and Matthew McConaughey acting
- Of course we were appalled every day on social media about something âimportantâ so why not make an Outrage List? Take for instance, onÂ July 2 we found out that Facebook was doing mood experiments on us without our knowledge and on October 21 we were abuzz by Renee Zellwegerâs new eyes! Yes. We. Were.
- The Top Ten Viral Videos of the yearÂ include a couple of my favorites, such as Emma Stoneâs lip sync battle with Jimmy Fallon and President Obama on “Between Two Ferns,” but how did I miss the video with the Lion King cast on the New York subway? Wow!
- 2014 was the year many people tried to âbreak the internetâ and the Masters of Photoshop were very boredâŚI meanâŚbusy.
What lists are you readingÂ toÂ ring in the new year?
P.S.:Â I still canât believe Pharrellâs hat was 2014. It seemsÂ like that was so 2013!